Sunday, July 08, 2007

Man Versus Chipmunk

The man who did the last renovation of our house ten years ago told us when we bought the house that he had "disposed" of quite a few chipmunks while working on the house. Now, we live in the country, in the middle of the critters habitat, so I expect to see and encounter wildlife big and small all the time. That's one of the reasons we are here.

I also feed the birds. With that blessing comes curses. Birdseed attracts critters and stalkers of birds. I am content to let nature play out its drama. Of course, squirrels are the most famous invaders of the bird feeders, and the constant struggle of keeping them away from the bird feeders is the stuff of funny late night stories around the dinner table with our neighbors.

Last year at a craft fair, I bought a bird feeder that really does keep the squirrels out and lets the birds in. The birds like it. The squirrels have quit trying.


During the last year or so we have had fairly moderate weather and the chipmunk population has grown. I watched in horror this summer as the chipmunks finally figured out how to get up the pole, and into the bird feeder.


These are not the same chipmunks who sang, "please Christmas don't be late..." in the animated cartoon I used to watch when I was growing up.

I am shopping for a slinky to put around the pole. I am told that will keep anything from climbing up to the feeder. Somehow I really believe it will just be more entertainment for the chipmunks.

No comments: