Thursday, July 27, 2006

You're Already There

Reference:Christine Kane - You're Already There

I have 29.5 years in a large corporation, and I still find myself wondering from time to time when I will have a "successful career". Over the course of the last couple of years I have come to understand that the focus of my career needs to be generativity. The best thing to do is to build the people around me and the people I can reach into better people, and have faith that they will take care of what has been, to this point, my life's work.

Kokopelli invented "you're not THERE" to trick us all into believing we need to be some time else, or someone else, or some size else, or ... you get the picture. You can never should have done something. Waiting until you're THERE robs you of NOW.

There is an add on television (yes, I still watch, mindfully) that shows people in several conference rooms, considering new strategies. Each group uses, "What would the guys at the other company do?" to spur their thinking. The series of scenes goes from small company to large, and finally the large company points back to the first two person company and says, "What would the guys at THAT company do?" While you are busy admiring other people and looking to be inspired, others are looking at you and thinking, "I wish I could be THERE, where she is."

This is the story of "It's a Wonderful Life". If you can be present and realize that you ARE, and then look around you at the lives you touch, you will know that there is no THERE to get to.

No comments: